Raita means yogurt based salad in many regional Indian languages. Raita could be yogurt with vegetables, or with fruits. As it is made with yogurt and veggies, raita is healthy accompaniment to rice dish, or with a dry vegetable curry. Beet raita is not just lovely to look at, but is extremely healthy as well. Beets are very nutritious in terms of fibers, vitamins, anti-oxidants and are very low in calories. So go ahead and try this delicious all natural pink yogurt!
Difficulty level: Easy
Category: Salad, appetizers
- 3 small/medium sized beets
- 2-3 green chillies depending on the heat
- ½ tablespoon coriander cumin powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups whipped yogurt
- Wash and peel the beets. Grate the beets in a deep container. Finely chop the green chilies and add them to the grated beets.
- Take yogurt in a bowl and whip it smooth with some water. Add this yogurt to the grated beets. Add coriander cumin powder and salt to it.
- Take oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds and heat the oil until the seeds sputter. Add sesame seeds and the dried red chillies to the hot oil. Heat everything for about 5 minutes and then add it to the yogurt and beets mixture.
- Taste the beet raita and adjust the salt and spiciness as preference. Garnish it with chopped cilantro.
- Wash the beets well before use. As always spice and taste can be adjusted if required, so start with less and taste and adjust as you go.