Come summer, the will to cook and eat hot foodstuff starts waning, especially when you come home after a long day of work. So I usually prefer something quick and easy for these hot evenings. Salads comprising of chickpeas (or any other protein) and fresh veggies are my favorite. I usually have a batch of cooked and frozen beans or chickpeas in my freezer for such tiring and hot evenings. A big bowl of a bean salad with cold chaas (buttermilk) or lemonade and quick weeknight dinner is done! You can make this salad in about 20 minutes and it is super delicious and healthy. So try it out!
Difficulty level: Easy
Category: Entrée, Salad
- 2 cups of boiled chickpeas or 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2-3 chillies (depending on heat)
- Juice from 1 medium sized lime/lemon
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- If using dry grains, soak the chickpeas overnight or for about 8 hours. Cook them in a pressure cooker or a microwave until they are soft. If using canned chickpeas, drain the liquid and wash the chickpeas well before using. The chickpeas can be pre-cooked and frozen.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, dice the onions, tomatoes, cilantro and chillies.
- Once cooked, drain the liquid and rinse out the chickpeas. Add all the chopped veggies, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Taste and adjust the spices and salt as needed. Enjoy with a chilled drink!